Language & values workshop 2: Tom Bennett
Post from, http://pervasivemedia.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/understanding-the-language-values-of-pervasive-media-session-2-tom-bennett/
On Weds 26th May Tom Bennett and his team installed If Only…. in the pervasive media studio, an Interactive Places Experience using sensors and iPhone.
descriptions generated by workshop participants:
- If Only is a kind of mission scenario where you have play some games to hack into a nasty carbon-burning power station. You have to try to reconnect the power station to renewable power sources. The games are really good fun and the story makes a good point that would help people think about climate change.
- If Only, a suite of games to download onto your iPhone and play with others. These games respond to sensors which are attached to every day objects. Go to the location where these sensors are set up and experience a range of approaches to mobile gaming. You won’t be disappointed, as a fourth sentence.
- Play the game and save the world. Responding to the eco crisis is often worthy but boring but what if you could save the planet by clapping in the right places. Moving through a maze by waving your arms or catching a virtual ball, like the Wii on steroids the If Only game will embed you in the physical world of cyberspace at the same time and set you challenges that will bring fun, laughter and maybe a cooler world.
- An interactive, an exciting interactive story game being led through a series of games that take place in the environment around you. Move around the city find the clues, solve the puzzles, walk, run, cycle jump through this interactive story, complete the puzzles and solve the riddles.
- Save the World. Using your iPhone play an interactive game which puts you through the paces mentally and physically to save the world from the devastation of climate change.
- Come and play a new type of game that will bring home how difficult it is to challenge our power hungry ways and fight global warning. You’ll move between challenges you’ve never encountered before guided by a Gaia character who will help you see what we’re up against in switching to renewable energy sources. There’s an iPhone App but much more. Come and see these new pervasive technologies in action.
- Climate change game experience. Overall I was very entertained by the diversity of the games. The games were very easily accessible which made it easy for anyone to participate no matter previous experience with games. Do the games need some more factual information, they might, but who really cares when you’re having fun.
- If Only is a series of kids’ games to persuade young ones to think about the environment.
- Have fun with your iPhone in this interactive game that has you riding a bike, opening a door with your phone, clapping to make a phone game work and saving the world. Includes videos from teenager Gaia in the future who needs our help to stop billionaire Brandon Richards building climate ruining power stations.
- A series of mini games that challenge your ingenuity, playfulness and perseverance. The games use the iPhone in novel ways to interact with sensors in the environment and have the goal of raising your awareness of environmental change.
Filed under: Language & Value Workshops